I started a book club! You may not know this about me but I LOVE reading. I wasn’t much of a reader until I read the Twilight Saga in middle school. From there, my interest in reading books became my favorite hobby. My friend group at that time enjoyed reading also! We would share books and talk about them for hours. I will admit though, it got to a point where my family would take my books away because I wouldn’t want to do anything else but read. Flash forward to college, reading books for my leisure was put on the back burner. Any extra time I had away from studying was spent with friends, volunteering, taking trips, or being involved in various organizations. However, now that I am finished with college and with my dental school applications, I finally have time to read again.
How it started:
I had seen other Instagram pages do the same with their friends, so I thought “hey, why not me?”. I posted a poll on my Instagram page and asked other women if this would be something they would be interested in and the feedback was amazing! There is quite a handful of us so far and can’t wait to expand!
I decided to name it “The Women’s Corner Book Club”! I wanted to form a group for women who liked reading romantic comedies or books with cliche endings.
We all love a good book that has a happy ending! Anyone who needs a break from everyday life and needs a space to relax and unwind once a month is welcome to join us. I thought this club would be a fun way to make connections with other people we may not have connected with otherwise.
How the book club works:
- I have compiled a list of books that all fall under a certain theme for our club. Members are able to suggest books to add, once approved they will be posted on the list.
- Each month members are allowed to vote on two books from the list. Book with the most votes will be chosen to read the following month.
- Each month a meeting will take place on Zoom.
- For the most part they will be the first Friday evening of every month.
- At the time of the meeting, the book chosen must have been read.
- We will discuss characters, plots, our expectations etc.
- The book chosen for the following month will be announced!
If the member does not like the book chosen, they are still able to join in on the meeting but must be aware that the book will be dissected and discussed.
Members are not limited to read one book a month from the list, however only the book chosen will be discussed as a group.
- If the book we read was the first in a series of books, we will not continue reading them as a group.
If you wish to continue a series, you can continue reading on your own OR buddy up with someone else in the group to discuss together!
How to Join
- Find me on instagram @southerntexasambience and send me a message. Let me know that you are interested in joining and I will add you to the group chat with the other ladies!
The first meeting we had was a success. I was so nervous that no one would show up but the response I got from the girls that attended the meeting was amazing! We discussed how meeting would work and introduced ourselves to each other. Other members that were not able to make it said they would chime in on the next one and I couldn’t be more excited!
The first book I chose for the book club is called Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch. I have been receiving a lot of positive feedback from the girls who have been reading along and it has been fantastic! I can’t wait until our next meeting in July to discuss it with everyone. Be expecting a book review!
Next Meeting: July 3rd